Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A Berry Simple Lunch


After a dose of healthy smoothies in the morning, I decided to have something light for lunch. The smoothies is so filling that I didn't feel hungry comes lunch time. But my biological clock sent a signal to my mouth, and told her to munch something eventhough the stomach protested that she was feeling pretty ok and didn't need to be fed yet. Rather than reaching for potato chips or something equally unhealthy, I made myself a simple fruit salad. It's actually the leftover salad from last night with a few strawberries thrown in for color. Surprisely, it was pretty tasty.

I would have added some raspberries if I had gotten them from the farmer market last weekend. But we went a bit late, so there wasn't a single punnet left. What a disappointment! We bought a lot of strawberries though. So much that I have enough to eat for breakfast, lunch, snack and desserts. In as short as three days, three pounds of strawberries are gone. Most of them went into the dessert, which I will blog about shortly in another entry.

This post is about the berry simple salad. It is basically a combination of romaine lettuce, tomatoes and sliced strawberries. I mixed a teaspoon of raspberry perserve and a few dashes of balsamic vinegar to make a simple dressing for the salad. The dressing is pretty much up to personal taste. But I like the interplay of something sweet and something tangy in my salad. I am sure any balsamic vinaigrette will work here too . Also, any mixed salad green can substitute the romaine lettuce.
A figure friendly salad that will surely help my thighs and hips. This berry simple salad will be my entry for Lisa and Kelly's Salad Stravaganza. Do check out the roundup on July 1st for other yummy salad ideas!

A Berry Simple Salad

1 1/2 cups of chopped romaine lettuce
1/2 cup hulled, sliced strawberries
1 roma tomato, chopped

dressing:
1 teaspoon raspberry preserves
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad.

Serves one girl who needs to lose weight.

9 comments:

Lis said...

So pretty and it sounds so tasty too! I love the idea of the preserves & balsamic - I'll so give that a shot, thank you!

Thanks so much for submitting to the cause! My thighs will be nice and trim thanks to a gorgeous salad like this! =)

xoxo

Deborah said...

I love strawberries in salads. I never thought of mixing preserves and balsamic vinegar for the dressing - I'm going to remember that!!

Anne said...

Love the color!

East Meets West Kitchen said...

What a beautiful salad!

Mandy said...

lis,
thanks!

deborah,
this is my first time having strawberries in salad. Glad it turned out well.

anne & east meets west kitchen,
thanks!

Lee Ping said...

Beautiful salad, indeed.

My Little Tiger loves strawberries. I could make this salad for her.

kellypea said...

I love strawberries in salads, but the combination of berries with tomatoes is one I haven't thought of! What a great idea! Beautiful colors -- and the dressing? Mmmmm.... Thanks so much for your entry to our 'Stravaganza.

Mandy said...

lee ping,

I think I would snack on them too, before dinner :)

kellypea,
you are most welcome. thanks for hosting such fun event!

kellypea said...

This is gorgeous, Mandy. It will be in my round-up Sunday.

I love fruit in green-based salads. Excellent entry!

Related Posts with Thumbnails