Sunday, May 14, 2006

This week's baking disaster

There are 2 actually, which happened on the same night. It all started when the novice baker thought she was no longer a "novice baker" and wanted to try her hands on something new. The recipe was decided long before I was sick, that is No Bake Mango Cheesecake. It was a recipe I saw from a Hongkong blog site. It featured a really cool cake where there's a layer of mango jelly in the middle. After gathering all the necessary ingredients, I thought I would make it on a Saturday night, so I could bring it to the church and shared with friends on Sunday...

Because it didn't turn out as it should, it was still sitting in our fringe. This is the thing: when the food doesn't turn out as it's supposed to be, we can not give it away. However, because it's not inedible, we can't throw it away either. (at least not in Ong's residence) In another word, I have to swallow my failure, literally.

That's mistake number one. I then proceeded to make a batch of strawberry scones after the cheesecake was in the fridge. This is a new recipe, from one of my beloved source. I got OCT to wash all the bowls and what not while I measured the ingredients for the strawberry scones. The process and ingredients was pretty standard, so I went through motion to make the dough and freeze them for breakfast this morning. Later that night, I realised that I forgot to add in 1 tablespoon of sugar. Calmly, I consoled myself that one tablespoon of sugar was no big deal and it probably is not going to have a make or break effect on my scones.....and I went on to zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

This morning, I baked a few and was greeted by the promising look of my sugarless scones. Boy the one tablespoon sugar less was a Huge mistake! The scone was soooo salty that I have absolutely no doubt of sweeping them into the waste bin. And as for the cheesecake, it was edible, as I have mentioned earlier, but not as delicious as I would have imagined.

After all this, I must say I am a much humbler person now and last but not least, still a novice baker.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails